Mother's Day 2011

Mother's Day 2011
Tim, Mom, Nancy & Diane

Monday, February 7, 2011

Every 70 seconds someone is diagnosed with Alzheimers

On February 2, 2011 our mom was diagnosed with this disease.  How did we miss the signs for so long?  It was (or so we thought) the gentle aging process and everyone forgets someones name or draws a blank on a word in a sentence.  I do and I am 20 years younger than my mom.  It is a disease that her father had and his mother had but it did not have a name back then.  Back then people 'lost their mind', only now do we have a name for this memory robbing disease--Alzheimer's.  There is no cure, just medications that MAY slow down the process.  In the 86,400 seconds today, there will be over 1000 people diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  There will be at least that many caregivers thrown into a new role they did not ask for.  It not only effects the patient, but her husband, the children and their spouses, grandchildren, friends of the family and the list goes on.

The day our family received the news, God was already preparing me.  My daily devotion from Proverbs 31 Ministry was The Book of Days.  I guess I knew in my heart this would be our outcome as well but you never want to hear those words "your loved one has early stages of Alzheimer's".   We will blog about our journey of a family living with Alzheimer's.  We will have good days and bad days ahead but we know that God is on the throne and He is is control.   
"All the days ordained for me were written in
Your book before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139:16b (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment